3.08.2007

Countdown to Match Day - 7 days and counting

Well,so here we are, one week out from Match Day. My match list has been in for a couple of weeks, which is to say, in spite of second thoughts regarding my first couple of choices for residency - the die is cast and the only reconciliation is the belief that divine providence will send us where we are supposed to go.

We got back from a cruise on Sunday, the Mexican Riviera (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta, keep your eyes peeled for a highlight video). It was a wonderful trip, a chance to soak up the sun (appropriately smoothered in SPF 80, of course), relax with my wife but most importantly to take my mind off the inevitability that is the Match.

Although next Thursday is hyped as "Match Day" at which point you recieve the ultimatum regarding your place of residence and training for the next half decade, the most important day for us dermies (as well as those applying to other competitive specialties id est plastics, radiology, etc, etc.) is next Monday when you get one of two emails: "Congratulations ..." or the devastating alternative. 10 AM Monday.

I keep telling Danielle how nervous I am for the big day and she tells me:
1)That she's supposed to be the worrier and I'm traditionally the one with the Buddhist mentality that everything always works out the way that it is supposed to and that God knows how to make us happiest. If our lives had worked out the way that we had planned we would be extremely unhappy.
2)I need to have more faith. Elder Bednar said in conference a year of two ago that God will micromanage our lives if we allow him to. We've tried to turn this whole thing over to him knowing that there are lessons to be learned and lives to impact whereever we go and that He knows where we are most needed. If this means that we have to reapply a second time, so be it.

In theory, the above makes a lot of sense and they are beliefs that Danielle and I have at the foundation of our lives. In practice, it is somewhat more difficult.

So, with Monday comes relief and Thursday, destiny.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I am so excited to see where you guys match. I will be sad if you leave the state, but I know that you will be going where the Lord wants you. You have counseled with Him through this whole process and because of that I believe you will go to the place that will be best for your family. No worries little bro. It will all work out for the best.

Sarah Palfreyman said...

Hi Taintors! We found your blog and added you to our links. We'll see you next Thursday! If you want to check out our blog, go to ericandsarahpalfreyman.blogspot.com

See you soon.

Sarah